This is such a comforting meal. Something I craved for so long when first diagnosed with celiac years ago. Here’s a cleaned up, gluten free version that fits so nicely into your health and fitness lifestyle. It was inspired by a combination of The Joy of Cooking and an old recipe I have from Bette Hagman. The topping is more of a buttermilk biscuit type then a pie crust and in my opinion equally as tasty as the pie kind but with less carbs and fat.
Creamy Chicken Filling
- about 2 cups of cooked diced or shredded chicken (or use your desired measured grams)
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk (optional but gives it the creamy rich taste)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 T oat gluten free flour or Brown rice flour
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup oat flour (or half Brown rice flour/ half Tapioca starch mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 t xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or plain non dairy yogurt
- 1 T water or coconut milk
preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan bring stock (or water) to a boil. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook for 15 min. Add peas, red pepper and chicken. Cook for 5 min. Mix water into flour to create a thin paste and then add to pot. Stir and cook on low for for 1-2 minutes. Add in coconut milk, salt and pepper.
Poor into casserole dish and set aside while you make biscuit topping.
To make biscuit topping mix the oil and egg well. Sift the dry ingredients together then add them to the egg mix alternately with yogurt. Drop spoonful onto chicken mix.
Bake for 25 minutes until topping is brown and chicken filing is bubbling.
Makes about 5 servings