This is a bit of a different take on the traditional version of Shepherd’s Pie. The sweetness of the sweet potato and the ginger curry spiced turkey mix complement each other well. A nice balanced meal.
Meat & veg filling
- 2 lbs extra lean ground turkey
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cups veggies of choice chopped ( I use what’s in my fridge usually carrots, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 thumb fresh minced ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large peeled sweet potatoes
(about 5 cups or 1000g. You can modify amount according to your macro sneeds)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil or organic butter (can omit if trying to keep fats down)
- sea salt and pepper to taste ( about 3/4 tsp)
Put sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water.
Bring sweet potatoes to a boil. Cook until very soft.
While cooking prepare the filling:
Cook turkey in large pan with curry, ginger and onions .
When still a little pink add chopped vegetables and peas.
Cover and cook 5 min. Add salt and pepper.
Cover and cook 5 min until soft.
Remove lid and simmer on low while you prepare the sweet potato topping:
In a bowl or pot, mash or beat sweet potatoes until smooth.
Add milk and oil/butter and salt.
Poor turkey mix into a large baking dish and top with sweet potatoes.
Baked 35-40 min until browned and bubbling.
Makes about 10 servings depending on your macros
Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping.