Super duper delicious! This is full of taste and protein but low in carbs and fat. It’s also immune boosting and high in antioxidants.
I like to make a batch and have it as is on a lower carb day then have it over baked sweet potato fries or brown rice varieties on a high carb day. It freezes well too!
I try to use all fresh, organic ingredients whenever I can. Feel free to play around with the veggies you add. The idea is that they are chunky so they give a hearty feeling to this meal, you won’t even miss the beans.
- 1lbs extra lean ground meat (turkey, beef or chicken are all great in this!)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small red pepper coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms coarsely chopped. I like a mix of white and cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups zucchini coarsely chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/2 Serrano chili pepper seeds removed (optional)
- 3/4 small bottle of salt free strained tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 1.5 T chili powder
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro (or 1T fresh)
- 1tsp raw cacao powder (optional but the secret ingredient that gives it a deep rich taste)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Cook onions with a little water until soft in a covered pot, add the meat and chilli powder and cook until no longer pink breaking up the meat as it cooks. Add garlic and other spices, salt and pepper. Add veggies and cook covered for 3-5 min. Add tomatoes, raw cacao powder and apple cider vinegar. Cover and simmer on low for about 20min. If it’s too liquidy for you remove lid and simmer uncovered another 10 min or until desired consistency. ( I like it really thick!)
Enjoy as is or topped with fresh cilantro, dollop of Greek yogurt and serve with crackers or over rice and beans or sweet potato fries for added complex carbohydrates.
Makes about 5 small servings. each serving has approx:
196 Calories, 6g fat, 16g carbohydrates, 21g protein (using lean ground chicken)