I’m so excited about seeing a Naturopath. I can’t believe I hadn’t yet in my life and what the heck have I been waiting for!
As you know I really believe in a holistic approach to health and as part of my journey in optimum health I’ve wanted to see a Naturopath for a long time.
Naturopathic medicine is basically primary health care that promotes wellness and prevention. When it comes to specific concerns they focus on the root cause and support the body’s own ability to heal and balance. I just love this approach!
According to the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine Naturopatic doctors are guided by six fundamental healing principles:
- First, to do no harm, by using methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- To treat the causes of disease, by identifying and removing the underlying causes of illness, rather than suppressing symptoms.
- To teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine, by sharing knowledge with patients and encouraging individual responsibility for health.
- To heal the whole person through individualized treatment, by understanding the unique physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental and social factors that contribute to illness, and customizing treatment protocols to the patient.
- To emphasize prevention, by partnering with the patient to assess risk factors and recommend appropriate naturopathic interventions to maintain health and prevent illness.
- To support the healing power of the body, by recognizing and removing obstacles to the body’s inherent self-healing process.
During my 1 hour+ visit we went through a huge questionnaire about my lifestyle, goals, stresses and overall health.
It was really interesting for me to reflect out loud about that stuff and lots of fun. A little bit of crying in there too but that’s life.
For now she recommended B6 and Magnesium for some of my concerns and I’m scheduled for a live blood analysis before our next session. I’ve had this before and it’s so interesting. It’s basically a way to determine if your nutrition, supplement and exercise choices are working well by looking at your live cells. I’m learning about this in my course too right now so even more interesting.
I’m really excited about this path and I will let you guys know how each experience goes.
Have a great day!